Objectives & Results
TeaM Cables aims at providing NPP operators with a novel methodology for efficient and reliable NPP cable ageing management by developing:
- cable ageing models and algorithms, which are based on multi-scale studies and can be tailored to cover variations in fillers, additives and degrees of crosslinking,
- methodologies for non-destructive testing techniques and their associated criteria identified from multiscale relations,
- a novel “open access” tool, hereinafter referred to as the “TeaM Cables tool”, integrating all the models developed and providing the residual lifetime of cables by crossing non-destructive measurements with predictive models and knowledge of cable exposure conditions (wiring network in the NPP). Cable lifetime estimation accuracy will be greatly improved as current models only distinguish the type of polymer (e.g. EPR or XLPE) and therefore can describe only one parameter of the polymer. TeaM Cables models will be based on between three to six parameters (e.g. polymer type, filler type, antioxidant type) related to the polymer composition and the kinetics parameters. Accuracy and adaptability of the models will therefore be improved.
By the end of the project, TeaM Cables will deliver the following main results:
- Elaboration of specifications for a suitable cable design and definition and boundary conditions for cable monitoring.
- A partly publically available database with key ageing markers for ageing during normal and accidental conditions.
- A new multiscale modelling approach to study polymer ageing addressing the problem of complex polymer formulation and to predict NPP cables lifetime correlating effects on molecular and micro levels with the macro level. This approach will be generic, thus applicable to various polymers families and formulations.
- Proposals for elaboration and revision of standards of characterisation tests and NDT techniques.
- New specifications for non-destructive techniques and micro-sampling techniques giving access to data related to the chemical ageing of the polymer and usable for residual lifetime calculation.
- The TeaM Cables tool which supports the cable ageing management and lifetime prediction, capable of giving information about the effects of irradiation and temperature for main families of nuclear cables on a more accurate level than what is possible today.
The TeaM Cables consortium met during the General Assembly of the project from 27th to 29th March, 2019 at the University of Bologna (Italy), one of the project partners. After 18 months since project start, this meeting was the occasion for the consortium to discuss...
Partner UJV is hosting the following meeting in connection with the TeaM Cables project: EQUIPMENT QUALIFICATION IN NUCLEAR INSTALLATIONS MEETING, May 20 - 23, 2019, Řež (30 minutes from Prague), Czech Republic More details and registration at...
The TeaM Cables consortium was present during NUGENIA annual forum organised between 10-12 April 2018 in Prague, Czech Republic. It was an opportunity for partners to meet seven months after project...